Hi friends! It’s with great relief and joy to say that I am now back from my hiatus!
It’s confession time. During my hiatus, I took more time off my blog, sure, but… *whispers* I actually caught up on my 20+ review backlog. I’ve planned all my posts and I have a posts lined up until November. BUT, I did have a lot of fun and I got to relax. (I also got more sleep, was more patient with my other hobbies, and I read more.) Now I’m ready to get back into the grind!
While I was on hiatus, I did a lot of thinking about how I want Read Think Ponder to grow.
Here are the changes:
- My reviews will now be shorter. (I don’t know if I’m making the right decision doing this. A part of me thinks I am watering down my reviews by making this decision, but.) I love long reviews and I love writing them, but I want my reviews to, first and foremost, accomplish two things: articulate my opinions about a book by giving you a well-rounded picture of what you can expect (if you read it), and persuade you to read the book if I think it is great.
- I will continue illustrating for my blog! But, gone are the days where I spend three days on an illustration (*shudder*). My illustrations are going to be a little simpler, but will still get their messages across!
- Every month, I will be posting book recommendations! It will be structured like a ‘top four’ post, and all recommendations will be ‘archived’ in my Book Recommendations page (see above). To ensure that my recommendations are up to date, if I find a new book that deserves a spot in my top four, I will update my recommendations list!
- I am completely changing how I structure my Let’s Talk discussion feature. If a topic strikes me, I’ll definitely write about it, but for now… see the new thing below.
- More regular posts! At least twice a week. I promise.
So, here’s the new thing.
NEW FEATURE: JOINT DISCUSSIONS
All of you know how much I love critically analyzing books. After re-evaluating Read Think Ponder, I decided that bookish analysis would be best if it was separate from the book review. Therefore, my new feature is a compromise – I get to still post reviews and I get to analyze the books I read too!
If you follow me on Twitter, you might remember this tweet –
So, let me introduce my new feature: Let’s Talk About – Joint Discussions!
What it is in a few words:
- You and I can write a discussion post together!
- It can be about a specific book, about themes and ideas, or we can even gush about books we love and why they’re awesome.
- The topic can be anything bookish. (Topics listed in this spreadsheet are for those who need ideas!)
This will be an addition to the Let’s Talk discussion series – because what’s better than me actually discussing stuff with someone else? If you are interested in writing a discussion post with me, I invite you to make a submission.
To start, I have some discussion post ideas I have milling around in my head – would any of you be interested in writing about these topics with me?
- Are problematic characters always bad?
- Why do we read romance?
- Is having ‘diverse’ characters enough?
- Why representations of mental illness are important
One last thing:
My friend, fellow blogger, and generally very awesome person Sydney also returns from a blogging hiatus today! She has created a new blog, and I have it on good authority that she has some very exciting content coming soon – so keep an eye on her and her lovely blog!
Also, in the spirit of returning from hiatuses and relaunches, another blog and its lovely blogger, Kate Marie, are also returning! Maybe stop by Hounds and Habits?
While I was away on hiatus, I read some really awesome books! I’ll be posting reviews for them in due time, but my top 3 reads between May and July were:
- Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith (I’ll be posting my review for it later this week!)
- One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
So friends, how have you all been? Anything new? Any favourite books? HOW IS LIFE? Tell me all about it. 💕
Have you posted a book review that you’re proud of lately? If so, drop your blog link in the comments and I’d love to visit!